- The Science Committee was formally constituted In Rome, Italy on May 20, 2010
- Membership will consist of:
- The Science Committee Chair of GlobalSoilMap.net
- The Project Coordinator of GlobalSoilMap.net
- The Science Coordinator of GlobalSoilMap.net
- The Science Coordinators for each node (need to identify coordinators for 4 nodes)
- Representatives of officially recognized supporting institutes
How can we better utilize the Soil that we know as Mother Earth? How can we offer the more than 9 billion people that will inhabit the world by 2050 better living conditions with reduced hunger, disease and deprivation? Can we solve these challenges satisfactorily in the immediate future? The answer is “we had better” and the solution has to take root in, and grow from, the Soil.
In November 2008, an $18 million grant has been obtained from the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation and the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) to map most parts in Sub-Sahara Africa, and make all Sub-Saharan Africa data available. From this grant there are also funds for coordinating global efforts and for the establishment of a global consortium. Several institutions have assumed a leading role in this effort and have made substantial financial and in-kind contributions.
Our main donors: